Even though the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic are starting to diminish, it is still important to adhere to strict guidelines when it comes to disinfection. The virus is continuing to spread, and failing to keep surfaces disinfected properly could cause unnecessary infections. In addition, other infectious agents capable of causing disease will continue to be present on surfaces even after the Covid-19 pandemic has ended.
In order to follow the CDC’s guidelines for disinfection, you need to purchase the proper products. Below is a guide to help you select the right surface disinfectants for your needs.
Disinfectant products are designed to kill microscopic organisms that cause disease. These products may be used in a variety of different settings, such as on upholstery, on surfaces and even on human skin. The disinfection of surfaces is one of the primary lines of defense for any healthcare facility, as it reduces a substantial risk to workers and patients alike.
Comparing Surface Disinfectants
A variety of different surface disinfectant products are available, each offering its own advantages and disadvantages. As a result, certain disinfectant products are more suited for specific uses than others. For this reason, it is important to compare various disinfectant products based on multiple criteria before making a selection.
Some of the criteria you should consider as you compare disinfectants include:
1. Cleaning Ability
In addition to eliminating pathogens, many disinfectants are also intended to remove debris. In order to properly remove debris, disinfectants must typically contain a detergent. If you will be relying on one product to handle both the removal of debris and the elimination of pathogens from surfaces, make sure the product you choose includes a detergent. If you choose a product without a disinfectant, remember that you will need to buy a second product for pre-cleaning.
Different disinfectants pose different risks to humans and animals. For example, while some disinfectants can be used without protective gear, others may cause respiratory problems, skin irritation or other problems that make it necessary to use the proper equipment when applying them. Although safety warnings may not be the deciding factor when comparing surface disinfectants, it is always a good idea to consider any warnings or risks.
3. Contact Time
All surface disinfectants must remain wet on the surface in question for a specific period of time in order to be effective. This is known as their “contact” time. For the sake of simplicity, look for a product with a short contact time. Products that have a longer contact time may need to be reapplied in order to be effective, or they may simply take too long to use.
Not all surface disinfectants offer broad-spectrum efficacy. Make sure the disinfectant you choose can kill all the pathogens likely to be present on your surfaces. The best surface disinfectants will be effective against enveloped viruses, non-enveloped viruses, bacteria and fungi.
Surface disinfectants are only effective at killing pathogens if they are used properly. Unfortunately, some surface disinfectants come with lengthy or complicated instructions, making compliance more difficult. When choosing a surface disinfectant, consider the ease of use and the likelihood that staff members will be able to follow instructions properly.
Products to Consider
Finding a surface disinfectant that meets all of your criteria can be a challenge. MedSupply is proud to offer a range of products you can use to effectively disinfect all of your facility’s surfaces. Our products include:
- CaviWipes - nonabrasive towelettes that act as both a cleaner and a disinfectant. They are ideal for surgical centers, dental operatories and similar environments.
- Pre-Empt Virox Hydrogen Peroxide Surface Disinfectant - This gentle formula acts as both a surface cleaner and disinfectant. It is appropriate for non-critical care environments, such as massage therapy centers.
- Zytec Germ Buster - Zytec Germ Buster is a spray containing 80 percent alcohol. The formula dries quickly and won't leave residue.
- Medicom Prosurface Wipes/Spray - This product comes in the form of either wipes or spray, offering a one-minute contact time. The formula kills most pathogens, including Coronavirus.
- Lysol Wipes - Lysol wipes are effective against most pathogens and can be used in a variety of environments.
- Lysol Spray - Like Lysol wipes, Lysol spray is effective against nearly all pathogens, making it a common choice for high-traffic environments.
Contact MedSupply today to place your order or to learn more about our products.